3 large eggplants (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon salt
1-2 tablespoons cold-pressed virgin olive oil
½ cup basil, fresh chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 large tomatoes, sliced
4-5 large peppers, thinly sliced, (optional)
1 package shredded nondairy mozzarella cheese
non-dairy parmesan cheese
whole wheat flour (or flour of choice) to coat eggplant
- Cut stems and navels off eggplants. Peel and cut eggplants in ¼” slices.
- Sprinkle salt on each slice and place slices in a colander for 40 minutes so the bitter liquid from the seeds drains off. Blot the salty liquid off the slices with a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. When oil is getting hot, dip a few eggplant slices In the flour, shake off excess, and slip them into the hot oil.
- Fry on both sides until tender and golden, turning once. Drain on a paper towels.
- Coat the remaining slices and fry.
- In a medium skillet saute peppers in some oil.
- Place one layer of eggplant in a casserole dish; top with tomatoes and pepper slices.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, minced garlic, and nondairy mozzarella cheese.
- Continue until all ingredients are layered.
- Top with non-dairy parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings
© 2018 – 2020, Wildwood Sanitarium. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is educational and general in nature. Neither Wildwood Lifestyle Center, its entities, nor author intend this article as a substitute for medical diagnosis, counsel, or treatment by a qualified health professional.