1. Make 1/2 recipe of Vanilla Custard and pour onto baked pizza crust. (recipes below)
2. Chill to set up, then arrange sliced strawberries, kiwi, mandarin oranges, and raspberries or peaches on top.
2 cups almond or coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey or ¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1½ tablespoons cornstarch
1½ tablespoons regular Clear Jel or 2 teaspoons potato starch (cornstarch makes it sliceable; Clear Jel or potato starch makes it custard consistency)
Tip: Best with almond milk, but coconut milk can be substituted. Coconut milk will vary in richness depending on the source or brand so dilute with water to obtain the richness you desire.
1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend about 30 seconds. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly as it thickens.
Remove from heat.
Pour onto a baked pizza crust.
Chill several hours to set up, and then arrange sliced strawberries, kiwi, mandarin oranges,
and raspberries or peaches on top. Slice and serve.
Pizza (or Cobbler) Crust
1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
¼ cup coconut milk or Cashew Cream (see recipe below)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unbleached white flour plus a bit more for kneading
1. Place dissolved yeast and coconut milk or Cashew Cream in a mixing bowl. Add the salt, sugar, and whole wheat flour. Stir to mix and then add the white flour, continuing to stir and then to knead with hands into a ball of dough that can be handled.
2. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 1 or 2 minutes, adding more flour as needed until you have a smooth ball.
3. Roll out the ball onto a 9-inch pizza pan. Let rise and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until done.
This recipe called for Cashew Cream. Here is a suggested recipe:
1 cup of raw cashews nuts
1 cup water
Place in blender and blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth. Extra cream can be frozen for future use.
Source: Seven Secrets Cookbook, used with permission.