3 cups dry macaroni (use whole grain pasta if possible)
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups water
1/4 cup yeast flakes
2-3 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
1/4 cup pimentos
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup soy milk powder (plain not vanilla flavor) or increase cashews to 1/2 cup
1. Cook macaroni in 3 quarts boiling water with 2 teaspoons salt until soft. Follow package directions for whole grain pasta.
2. Meanwhile, blend remaining ingredients about 2 minutes until very smooth.
3. Drain cooked macaroni and return to kettle.Pour blended mixture into hot, drained macaroni and cook together until thick, stirring gently.
4. Add 1-2 cups frozen peas or 1 cup mushrooms or sliced olives if desired.
5. Cover and let sit 5 or 10 minutes before serving, or put in an oiled casserole, cover with seasoned bread crumbs, and bake.
Tip: If made ahead and heated the next day, stir in some water before heating – it tends to dry if it sits.
© 2018 – 2020, Wildwood Sanitarium. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is educational and general in nature. Neither Wildwood Lifestyle Center, its entities, nor author intend this article as a substitute for medical diagnosis, counsel, or treatment by a qualified health professional.